Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:19:55 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> (global-set-key [(meta ?\351)] ...)
>
> Then, it works only for w32.

So it works!!!

As long as there is _some_ way to specify those bindings, I think it
is ok if some crude bindings have to be tweaked a little to work on
w32 with Emacs 22, as was the case for Emacs 20 and 21, too.

After all, I suppose this is a user writing those bindings into his
emacs on w32, and it is trivial to condition those bindings for w32
in case the user is sharing the same .emacs across multiple systems
and platforms.

I'm not even sure we need to document this; if there's an interest,
someone could write about it on the Emacs wiki (it has a W32 section).

> In emacs-unicode-2, I think it is much easier because I
> believe Windows itself has a facility to convert keyboard
> events to Unicode character.

Since the problem will fix itself "real soon now", I propse that
we do nothing about it for now -- it's obviously not a new
problem, and people have managed without a fix for years!!

IOW: Don't delay the release just to fix some minor w32 specific
problem, for which there is a work-around!