Re: 15 seconds to fontify index

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 15 seconds to fontify index
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:58:30 -0400

>> For the Emacs Lisp Manual, info.el takes 15 seconds to fontify
>> the index.  That's a serious problem, and we need to do something
>> about it.

> It's not the fontification.  When I turn font-lock-mode off, it still
> takes me 11 seconds (1.2 GHz Athlon) to display the page.

info.el does not use font-lock, so it just *always* parses the page and adds
the fontification info, except it puts it on font-lock-face, so that the
highlighting is only visible if font-lock-mode is turned on.  But the work
is done regardless.

Using font-lock (with jit-lock) would make things faster (because lazier) on
large nodes.

        Stefan