Re: Menubar on text only terminals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Menubar on text only terminals
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 15:31:36 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:25:15 +0200
> Cc: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I think that the MSDOS port has a more traditional text menu (which
> closely resembles the graphical menus by appearing in-place).
>
> It would probably be better to port that functionality to text
> terminals in general before thinking about what to do with toolbars: I
> don't think that many people consider tmm a good idea.  And it
> certainly is a good hint that for MSDOS, one of the few console-only
> parts, someone went to the pain to implement something else.

Indeed.  I suggested long ago to retrofit the MSDOS code into a Posix
text terminal.  This should be almost trivial: all we need is to
replace direct screen writes with terminfo commands and stdio output.
All the rest can be kept almost verbatim.  The relevant functions are
XMenuCreate, XMenuAddPane, XMenuAddSelection, XMenuLocate,
XMenuActivate, and XMenuDestroy (and their few subroutines), all found
on src/msdos.c.  Of these, XMenuActivate is the only one that is
complicated; all the rest are really trivial.