Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:14:51 +0100

Kenichi Handa wrote:
for the gory details.

Ummm, by reading that page briefly, it seems that getting
Unicode codepoints is much easier.

It seems easier, but in fact to DTRT according to the documentation above means dropping support for Windows 95, 98 and ME, and modifying ALL system messages to use Unicode, which is major work. I think it is worth doing that for Emacs 22, because Windows 98 and ME are almost dead now, and probably will be by the time Emacs 22 s released, and also with the change of Emacs' internal representation, Unicode fits better. But now I think the best approach for this problem is to add an entry to PROBLEMS and get on with the release.