Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:05:14 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
Lots of people in poor countries run versions of Windows prior to XP.
XP has activation features that cause trouble for them.
I got the Emacs version numbers wrong. I wasn't suggesting to drop support for them immediately, but it is increasingly difficult to continue to support them when no developers are using them, and we probably need to make some major changes for Emacs 23 which are easier and produce better results if we use Unicode APIs.

Whether this means they run Windows 98 or Windows ME, I don't know.
I don't remember all the versions of Windows; was there one in between
ME and XP?
There were two strands of Windows, 95/98/ME which is not Unicode based and supports unicode only for a few limited uses, and Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista, which is Unicode based. From Windows XP, the first strand was dropped and replaced with a crippled version of the second strand.

We do not want to encourage them to upgrade.

Surely we do want to encourage them to upgrade, to a Free OS?