Re: arevert-xtra.texi xref gremlin

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: arevert-xtra.texi xref gremlin
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:52:55 -0400

>> But since it is likely that [Debian] are going to remove the manuals
>> completely in future (due to them being GFDL)

> They already did: at least one Debian user told me in some forum (I
> think gnu.emacs.help) that "C-h F" and "C-h K" didn't work because the
> manuals were not there.

Emacs on Debian has always been split into several packages.  The GFDL burp
caused them to refine the split such that the doc is now in a separate
package placed in the "non-free" section.

~-0% dpkg -l 'emacs21*'
||/ Name                     Version    Description
+++-========================-==========-======================================================================
ii  emacs21                  21.4a+1-3  The GNU Emacs editor
ii  emacs21-bin-common       21.4a+1-3  The GNU Emacs editor's shared,
architecture dependent files
ii  emacs21-common           21.4a+1-3  The GNU Emacs editor's shared,
architecture independent infrastructure
ii  emacs21-common-non-dfsg  21.4a+1-1  GNU Emacs shared, architecture
independent, non-DFSG items
ii  emacs21-el               21.4a+1-3  GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files
un  emacs21-nox              <none>     (no description available)

IIRC they also recently voted to consider GFDL'd manuals as free at the
condition that they do not add any extra clause.

In any case, the problem of Debian's multi-version support with info files
is unrelated to the GFDL.  And we can blame Debian all we want, but I don't
think we have many alternatives to offer.  Info is just currently not very
good at dealing with such problems.

        Stefan