Re: Top posting related changes in the cvs

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Top posting related changes in the cvs
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 22:45:08 +0200

On Tue, Apr 03 2007, Gabor Z. Papp wrote:

> I have updated my cvs tree just today, earlier used a checkout from 20070223.
>
> Discovered, that something changed in lisp/message.el, related to the
> Top posting. When I'm replying to a message, in the reply buffer the
> cursor points after the citation, not like earlier at the bottom of
> the citation.

(You meant "start of the citation" in the last part?)

It has nothing to do with the top posting code.  The top posting code
is new in No Gnus, but the change that causes the new (bottom) cursor
position came from a change in the stable (v5-10) branch:

,----
| 2007-03-27  Thien-Thi Nguyen  <address@hidden>
|
|       * message.el (message-yank-original): Fix bug:
|       Don't switch point and mark unnecessarily.
`----

Thien-Thi, could you please explain which bug you intended to fix?  To
put the cursor immediately after the citation line ("Whomever writes:"
line).  The user should start editing there, removing the cited
portions the he won't reply to.

When doing changes in Gnus it would be nice to dicuss such changes on
address@hidden - especially WRT the upcoming Emacs release (in this
case, I didn't even see any discussion on emacs-devel or on the
pretest-list).

Unless there is a very good reason for this change, I intend to revert
it.  I certainly don't want Gnus in Emacs 22 behave this way by
default!

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,