Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 08:49:09 +0200 (CEST)

> > > Do we need such an advanced downcasing as "MASSE" -> "maße"
> > > for German?
>
> > This is not possible without knowing the lowercase version first:
>
> >   Maße  -> MASSE
> >   Masse -> MASSE
>
> Ummm.  So, in casefolding search, which is good; "maße"
> matches with both "MASSE" and "masse", "maße" doesn't match
> with them, or "maße" matches only with "MASSE".

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.  Please reformulate.

Ideally, searching `maße' should not match `masse', but it should
match `MASSE'.  Note that, to make a distinction in the uppercased
version between Maße (measures, metrics) and Masse (mass, matter),
some people also write `MASZE' for the uppercased version of Maße.
This use of SZ is oldfashioned and not `official' any more.

    Werner