Re: "spurious scrolling bug"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "spurious scrolling bug"
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:43:10 -0400

I think someone sent a bug report about spurious scrolling (when
scrolling should not occur), during the past few weeks.  I do not know
how to find that message, though.  I searched my outgoing mail to
emacs-devel, and it seems I did not send a response to it there.
Maybe it was sent to emacs-pretest-bug.

    >From inspecting timer-list and timer-idle-list, I see only that the
    only active timer is the idle timer jit-lock-context-fontify, which
    doesn't move point.  Do you have stealth fontification on, or any
    relevant customizations that might cause this?

I think these are all my settings that might be relevant:

    (setq transient-mark-mode t)
    (setq mark-even-if-inactive t)
    (global-font-lock-mode 1)
    (setq jit-lock-stealth-verbose t)
    (setq jit-lock-defer-contextually t)

    (setq scroll-conservatively 10000)
    (setq garbage-collection-messages t)

It doesn't have to be a timer.   It could be the code
in keyboard.c that sleeps and then does auto-save or GC.

I think I have sometimes seen this problem in recent weeks when I
type C-c C-c to send a message, and the RMAIL buffer expands to
fill the whole screen.  After that, I sometimes see it scroll.