stderr vs start-process

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: stderr vs start-process
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:13:20 -0400

The help string for `start-process' does not say what happens to
stderr for the spawned process. It just says:

     Process output goes at end of that buffer, unless you specify
     an output stream or filter function to handle the output.

I tested this (on Windows XP) and it seems both stderr and stdout go
to that buffer. I tried reading the C code in process.c, but quickly
got lost.

I suggest that the help string be modified to:

     Process output (both standard error and standard output) goes at
     end of that buffer, unless you specify an output stream or filter
     function to handle the output.

Is there a way to separate standard error from standard output for the
spawned process? That would probably be useful in some situations.

--
-- Stephe