RE: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 08:24:49 -0700

> > I guess, as Kim said, that something starting with "image" would be
> > better
>
> I find that too specific, since thumbnails can be useful for other
> types of files as well. There's already a tumme.el patch for video
> files, and more types (PDF etc.) can be supported in the future.

And, as I and someone else wrote, it's not the thumbnails themselves that
constitute the feature - it's the extension of editing/browsing/viewing to
new file types, including images.

It sounds to me as if this is really an extension of Dired - or it should
be. It sounds as if we're just extending our file editor/browser/viewer to
provide features for other specific file types. Just as `Z' in Dired works
on compressed files, so some Tumme keys work on image files.

In that case, as I wrote a few minutes ago, this is, or this should be, akin
to dired-x: an extension of Dired. And the name should then be
dired-<something>.