RE: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:18:05 -0700

> > I really have not followed this thread, but, viewed from 3000 m, it
> > sounds as if different people have different preferences. Couldn't
> > Emacs just offer a few precedence options, so users could choose the
> > behavior they want?  (Then, of course, you could argue over the
> > default value ;-).)
>
> Personal preference options for a _language_ don't make much sense.
> They would keep programs from working everywhere.

Well, I won't argue - as I said, I haven't followed the discussion closely.

But I did think this was about preferences for entering (typing) arithmetic
expressions. I see no reason that a calculator couldn't let users choose
different precedence rules for entering expressions, or even let users
switch between infix and reverse Polish notation, or,... I wouldn't be
surprised if some calculators let you do that, but I'm no expert on this.