Re: ugliness in simple.el CVS log

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: ugliness in simple.el CVS log
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:35:58 +1200

Miles Bader writes:
 > > How did it happen that you put in this gigantic log entry?
 > >
 > > revision 1.616.2.62.2.3
 > > date: 2006-07-07 03:05:37 +0000;  author: miles;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
 > > Merge from emacs--unicode--0
 >
 > I can't say offhand; it looks like my merging scripts were inadvertently
 > setup to parse the changelogs to create a cvs log entry (that's
 > something which works well in certain cases, but generally isn't good
 > for non-trunk branches in Emacs -- note that this particular commit was
 > on the "unicode-xft" branch).
 >
 > As it's the only such entry, I apparently realized the problem and
 > corrected it after that.

It appears not just to be simple.el that has this log.  I've looked at gud.el
and gdb-ui.el and they both have it.  It does appear to be a one off, but
merges from Arch takes up about 75% of the two logs.  That seems a bit
execessive, as none of it appears to affect mainline.

 > [BTW, it's possible to correct CVS log message using "cvs admin"
 > command; I can get rid of all the extra text in this log entry if you
 > want.]

Please don't, not before the release anyway.  I can take ugly, I just don't
like broken.