Release procedure.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Release procedure.
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 18:34:36 -0700

I've long been baffled that trunk work is affected by the fact that a
release is under way.  We ought to be able to do both, or else there's
some technical failure in how we're using our version control system.

I see that others are also frustrated and less productive because of
this, as the recent comments in this thread indicate:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-05/threads.html#00012

Of course, it's possible that I simply don't understand Emacs's
release procedures.  Are they written up anywhere?  I couldn't find
them in my working copy.

Could someone (RMS? anyone?) say exactly what our release procedure
is, and why it is that way?  Then we could evaluate whether it's the
best procedure for our goals.  Or we might discover we disagree on the
goals -- but that would be useful to find out, too.

For the record, my idea of a good release procedure is here:

   http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/release-branches.html

-Karl