address@hidden: Re: Emacs - "Save As" Dialog Window under MS Windows]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: Re: Emacs - "Save As" Dialog Window under MS Windows]
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 13:57:36 -0400

Maybe someone should make this trivial change.

Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 21:10:21 +0200
From: Wilmar Igl <address@hidden>
To: David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Emacs - "Save As" Dialog Window under MS Windows

Dear David,

after checking your suggestions I found out that the menu bar "save as"
dialog does _save_ the file. It did not work in my case as my file name
included asterisks "*", however, did not show any error message.

Therefore, the only thing that should be changed is the description of
the button from "Open" to "Save" in the menu-driven "Save as..." dialog
window.

Best regards,

Will

PS: Do you know whether sort of a package management system is under
development for Emacs (e.g. based on EmacsWiki).
That would be marvellous!!!

David Vanderschel skrev:
> Hi Wilmar,
>
> I administer help-emacs-windows.  Your message is
> subject to moderation since you do not subscribe to
> the list.  This would appear to be a bug report.  The
> appropriate list to which to send that is
> bug-gnu-emacs which you can join here:
>
> It is not appropriate to address your message to RMS
> himself.  There is a staff of folks who support GNU
> software.  RMS himself has more important matters
> to concern himself with than minor bug reports.
>
> The graphic you attached is not readable.  In any
> case, a PDF is not a suitable format for distributing
> a screen shot.  PNG would be best for this (though GIF
> is OK too).  However, in this case, the nature of the
> 'bug' is clear without the picture.
>
> Though the dialogue calls itself an "Open File"
> Dialog, are you sure that it is not being used simply
> as a file name specification dialogue?  I.e., did you
> verify that what it does is to actually _read_ the
> specified file?  Or is the specified file what is used
> for the output?  (Note that you can type in a new file
> name in the Open File Dialogue.)
>
> Most folks use the function write-file on C-x C-w
> for a "save as" function.
>
> I will delete your message from the list server.  If
> you still think this is worth reporting as a bug, please
> feel free to do so.  (Since Windows does offer a
> "Save As ..." dialogue, I would agree that it could
> be regarded as a bug.)
>
> Regards,
>   David V.

- --
Wilmar IGL (Mr.)
Psychologist

* Postal Addresses:
- -Fogdevreten 13 B
SE-171 65 Stockholm/Solna
Sweden
- -c/o Michael und Christa Igl
Sittling 330
D-93333 Neustadt a. d. Donau
Germany

* Phone:
- - Sweden: +46 (0) 73 75 44 9 43 (mobile)
- - Germany: +49 (0) 176 29 49 87 10 (mobile)
- - VoIP: wilmar.igl (Skype), +49 (0) 9445 35 33 31 (landline, SkypeIn)

* E-mail: wilmar.igl[AT]gmx.de