Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:42:37 +0200

"Ken Manheimer" <address@hidden> writes:

> i like the idea of an incremental release mechanism for emacs.  but
> it needs to be done right - i think xemacs network-based packages
> update system doesn't quite do it, though it might be a step in the
> right direction.

XEmacs' system does not cater for packages created outside of a
central packaging structure.  If we have a package system, it should
make it possible for third parties to provide packages without us
having to check our own versions of them: that's a scenario that is
just begging to result in bit rot and outdated packages.