Re: print-circle and describe-variable

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: print-circle and describe-variable
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:33:11 +0800

Richard Matthew Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     I think only Lisp hackers will encounter/care about such complicated
>     structures, and they are surely able to customize print-length and
>     print-level if necessary.
>
> Lots of users will see these variables in values shown by
> describe-variable.  And even if they know how to customize,
> it is pure inconvenience to require them to do so.
>
> It would be useful for the help buffer to let RET expand the partly
> hidden value, just as evaluation in the buffer does.  And the code
> is already written.

My point is whether this is even necessary for realistic Emacs usage.
In practice, are there any significant Emacs variables containing
circular structures, that users will want to look up using
describe-variable?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.

There is a standard, but perhaps not significant Emacs variable may
cause Emacs hanging for the sake of reasons described in this
thread: `custom-options' in any customize buffer.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/