Re: Merging multitty

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Merging multitty
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 12:32:08 -0700

  >     Fixing multi-tty on Windows and other platforms does not really need any
  >     platform API experience: it's mostly a matter of understanding C
  >     compiler error messages and changing references to previously global C
  >     variables to their new terminal-local places (accessible via a frame
  >     handle).  If the code compiles successfully, it will likely work.
  >
  > Let's install this code in a branch in the Emacs repository
  > immediately.  That way, other people with write access to our
  > repository can work on making it compile on other systems.
  >
  >     Yes.  If you guys decide to merge the Unicode branch first, I'll simply
  >     devote a weekend to resolve merge conflicts and continue syncing with
  >     the trunk as long as necessary.
  >
  > In that case, I agree we may as well merge the unicode-2 branch first.

How about considering the size of the code to merge before making a
decision?

For multi-tty the diffstat summary for the diff between multi-tty and
CVS HEAD is:
(I tried to exclude all the generated files, from the diff)

For multi-tty a lot of the changes are mechanical: adding an extra
parameter to some function calls, adding an extra level of
indirection, etc.

For the emacs-unicode-2 the diffstat summary is:

For multi-tty there have not been any reports of crashes in a long
time (more than a 1 1/2 years if I recall correctly).

Given that multi-tty is a much smaller change, and it touches a much
smaller area of emacs and that the unicode branch is a much more
fundamental change, it should be easier to stabilize the trunk after
merging multi-tty. So, IMHO, it would be more efficient  to first
merge multi-tty and after that the unicode branch.