Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:07:26 -0700

Tom>    packages consisting of a single .el file (the most common
Tom>    kind) are very easy to fix up for inclusion.  That's because
Tom>    package.el can usually extract the information it needs for files
Tom>    following the already existing Emacs commenting guidelines.

>> does "very easy" include "without modification"?  that would be great.
>> someone else mentioned that xemacs' package system imposes policy that
>> ends up not being followed.  what plans would you have to make
>> package.el operate completely heuristically (possibly w/ human
>> intervention to fix glitches)?

If you have a self-contained .el file that follows the Emacs
commenting guidelines, then it can be uploaded and distributed without
modifications.

Most modifications I've had to make in practice have been along the
lines of fixing the formatting of the "foo.el ends here" comment, or
adding a "Version:" header.

Tom