Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 00:27:45 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > > people were able to test the multi-tty functionality, after it
>   > > they are not.

Reality check.  I tested it.  It was not up to par.  You seem to say
that one should only be allowed to test it, not change it.

>   > > Nobody claimed the code was bug free, but it did do what was
>   > > advertised to do.
>   >
>   > Reality check.  It didn't.  It only worked when one started the
>   > main Emacs from a tty with termcap/terminfo settings identical
>   > to those where one later started emacsclient.
>
> Can you please provide a proper bug report of what you are trying to
> do and how?

Oh for heavens sake, don't you read this list?

Start something like
TERM="" TERMCAP="" COLORTERM="" COLUMNS="" ROWS="" emacs -Q
(the point being to remove terminal-related variables)
and then, from a tty, start

emacsclient -t

This does not work.

>   > That was the problem I hit first and reported.  And part of the
>   > reason is that getenv does not, as opposed to advertised, fetch
>   > a terminal- or frame-specific environment variable.
>   >
>   > So I changed it to do that in order to match its DOC string, and
>   > it turns out that the code for _multitty_ (what this branch is
>   > supposed to be about in the first place) does not yet fetch the
>   > right kind of variables.
>
> Do you feel that it is reasonable to make changes to the CVS that
> you don't create ChangeLogs for,

There _is_ no ChangeLog file for multi-tty yet, and I _did_ create a
CVS log entry.

> don't even post something on the list letting people know that
> you've made changes,

I _did_ post the patch to the list.

> and then complain that things don't work and can't even discover
> that your own changes caused the breakage?

There was breakage _before_.  And I asked several times whether the
people who could not follow my report had used multi-tty HEAD from
Emacs CVS.

>   > So you propose to tackle the problem by destroying multi-tty
>   > capability, making everything rely on a single environment for
>   > all terminals.
>
> I have proposed no such things. I only asked for a change to be
> reverted because it made things strictly worse than before.

Fine, this is for now the end of my involvement with the multi-tty
branch.  I am reverting the change and deleting my checked-out copy.
There is no sense bothering with code that people don't want to see
any work done on.