Re: 22.0.99 emacs dumper (?) problem

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: 22.0.99 emacs dumper (?) problem
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 03:49:04 -0400

Chong Yidong wrote:

> This appears to be due to a change in the internal format of freed
> blocks introduced between glibc-2.5.90-21 and glibc-2.5.90-22.  As a
> result, Emacs binaries built using older versions of glibc may crash
> when run using newer versions of glibc.

I agree that adding a PROBLEMS entry, and trying to come up with a
proper fix for 22.2 (not 22.1), is the best course of action at this
stage.

I think rms usually does not read web-based bug reports, so he
probably has not looked at the long bugzilla entry, and may have
missed the important information that you state above. Namely, that
the problem is not that Emacs can't be built on FC7, but rather that
if the glibc version is changed Emacs needs to be rebuilt with the
stated workaround. Whilst it would be good to fix properyl, I hope
this can be treated as a non-showstopper right now.