Re: Checkout the sources for the release branch

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Checkout the sources for the release branch
Date: 24 May 2007 15:31:20 +0200
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:54:53 +0100

Hi, Eli!

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 04:18:25PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:16:11 +0200
> > From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
> > CC:  address@hidden,  address@hidden

> > > What's wrong with "cvs log"?

> > Just that I have no idea where to find the information.

> You don't need to find it, it will look right at you: "cvs log" lists
> all the branches that are known to the repository.  And a name such as
> EMACS_22_BASE is sufficiently self-explanatory.

I think Lennart meant that he didn't know where to find out that the
command "cvs log" existed, and was relevant; that he hadn't guessed that
there was such a command.

Lennart: you must have CVS installed on your machine, somehow; it will
contain a file cvs.texi (or similar), which you can compile into an info
file and then read on Emacs.  There are MS-Windows versions of gunzip,
tar and makeinfo floating around on the Internet.  Do this - it's well
worth the bother.

> All GNU projects put their pretest versions on alpha.gnu.org.
> ftp.gnu.org, by contrast, is for released versions, so we should not
> put binaries there until Emacs 22.1 is released.

Thanks, I didn't know that!

--
Alan.