Re: [multi-tty] emacsclient and buffers

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [multi-tty] emacsclient and buffers
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 22:36:30 +0200

csant <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems as if only the file opened from command line is associated
> with the client frame: no matter whether file1 or file2 are in the
> foreground in the client frame, if I C-x C-c in the client, file2
> will stay in the buffer list of the server.  (Amusing side note: to
> my bewilderment, this happened when I C-x C-f a file with tramp as
> root from within the client, and later found that very file still
> open in the server's buffer list).  I can also kill file1 from
> within the server, and this will terminate the client, allthough
> file2 is still open in the bufferlist.
>
> If this is expected behaviour, I guess it might need some good user
> documentation.
>
> Also, in terminal (-nw and -t respectively) it is not possible to
> switch to a buffer which is currently in the foreground in another
> frame (emacs server, or client).

While I agree with your points, those are usability issues that are
annoying, not critical.

I suppose that once we merge multi-tty, lots of people will start
removing their favorite annoyances.

In this particular case, one would probable not consider the frames
open from one "terminal" when considering how to arrange the frames in
another.