Re: saving buffer with text properties

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: saving buffer with text properties
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 17:27:36 -0400

    Is there any plan to enable users to save text with all of its properties?

The plan for how to do this is to use the format conversion feature as
a basis, and implement conversion to and from existing formats that
can record markup.  We could also invent our own new format, but that
would be less useful than interoperation with other programs.

One existing format we want to support is RTF.  Would RTF do this job?

I don't think this should be connected with desktop.el.
That is not a clean design.  desktop.el has a job to do,
and that includes revisiting files that you were looking at.
Making saving and visiting handle text properties is a different job
and the two should be kept independent.