Post-22.1 development?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:31:23 -0400

Now Emacs 22.1 is released (for those who don't read info-gnu-emacs,
see http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.announce/11 ), what is the
development plan for the trunk and the branch?

My understanding is that the EMACS_22_BASE branch will be used to make
future 22.x releases.  Should I bump the version on this branch to
22.1.50?  Should we begin merging the fixes that have been checked
into the trunk over last couple of months into the trunk, and if so,
What is the criterion for choosing patches to merge?

In a recent email, Stefan suggested that we should not restrict 22.x
development to bugfixes, but also include new features if the new
features are not too invasive.  Do people agree with this approach?
If so, I think a reasonable procedure we can follow is to (i) go ahead
and start merging *bugfixes* from the trunk into the branch, and (ii)
make a request to emacs-devel for each new *feature* from the trunk
that we want to add to the branch.

As for the trunk, should we begin merging the unicode branch in?  I
don't think this would interfere much with the process of merging the
trunk patches into the EMACS_22_BASE branch, since that's just a
matter of looking up ChangeLog entries and browing CVS diffs.  Also,
is it "open season" on checkins to the trunk, or do we want to
complete the unicode merge first?