Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 19:29:43 +0300

>> But the most trouble I expect from displaying HTML in Emacs.  There was
>> one unsuccessful project that implements a HTML browser in Emacs - w3.
>> Its failure causes doubts about expediency of using HTML in the Emacs
>> Info browser.
>
> I don't think that's true -- the problem with W3 was that it was trying
> to display _web pages_ in some sane manner, and the majority of web
> pages are simply not very amenable to that.  They make far too many
> assumptions about they environment they are displayed in, and do not
> degrade gracefully at all if _anything_ changes.
>
> With an info replacement on the other hand, we can control how html is
> used, and perhaps more importantly, it's likely that a large subset of
> texinfo authors will be _testing_ their documents in the Emacs
> environment.

I agree that handling a small HTML subset generated by makeinfo makes
implementing its support in the Emacs Info reader more promising.
But then the makeinfo output format to use should not be HTML, but rather
XHTML, so we could use xml-parse-file to read generated manuals in Emacs.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/