Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 09:22:41 +1200

 >     Looking at feedback on the Internet about Emacs 22, I think:
 >
 >     1) We should immediately make GTK the default build for both the trunk
 >        and the branch to bring it more in line with other desktop
 >        applications.
 >
 > We certainly should not do this for the branch.
 > I am not sure that change is a good idea in the trunk.

I thought that we almost did this for the release (when I argued against it).
Now that 22.1 is out, users will always have the option to downgrade, as well
as not using the default build if they are building themselves.  Also there is
some breathing space to iron out any problems that there might be.  Being
realistic about timescales, changes on the trunk won't get released for a long
time.

 > What does the feedback consist of?  Users saying they wish the GTK
 > build were the default?  I believe there are some.  However, how many
 > users said nothing because they are happy that GTK is NOT the default?

There's a long thread on fedora-devel (Why isn't emacs installed by default)
Generally, the impression I get is that Emacs is gradually being marginalised.
I think we should take steps to reverse that.

 > A half-way change, to make use of GTK the default when GTK dev libs
 > are present, might be good.

This is what making it the default means, isn't it?