Re: Multiple major modes

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Multiple major modes
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:04:50 +0200

Eric M. Ludlam wrote:
  [ ... ]
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> seems to think that:
Stefan Monnier wrote:
and something that should be addressed without imposing restrictions on
specialized major modes.
Actually, I think that in order to address it well, we will need to impose
restrictions on major modes (though only on the ones involved in
multiple-major-mode buffers) and maybe also on minor modes.

My parsing tool (semantic, referenced earlier) solved some problems w/
lots of mode-specific configurations via 'mode-local' variables and
methods.  David Ponce wrote this, and suggested it here once before.
I don't recall what the end resolution was on it.

A multi-mode style thing would likely be simplified if key behaviors
were all defined via mode-local configurations, as that would allow
the multi-mode manager to get a complete query list of all
configuration differences without running the major-mode function.

Would it be possible to catch all local bindings by setting the major mode in a temporary buffer and then save them for later use? This would avoid having to change major modes, perhaps.

This tools has a spiff macro `with-mode-local', which lets you run a
bunch of code as if some other mode were active.  This is used in our
grammar file so we can operate on grammar syntax w/ lisp syntax mixed
in.  We can also operate on tags from other buffers by momentarily
using features of the originating major-mode.