Re: dired mode recursive delete

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: dired mode recursive delete
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:53:31 -0600

David Kastrup wrote:
Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:

Richard Stallman wrote:
    Setting it to t instead will not cause _any_ action without asking for
    individual confirmation for every non-empty directory.  It seems like
    quite a safe setting (whereas the original setting is not helpful in
    any situation I can think of).

    My personal setting is 'top which is certainly more convenient than t
    but might be considered too drastic as a default setting by some.

I think that `top' would be an ok default.
Let's change the default in the trunk.
I'm uneasy about `top' vs. t as the default: when I'm prompted
"Recursive delete of SUBDIR? ", I expect that if I answer "yes"
that I'll be prompted for SUBDIR's subdirectories as well.

That is not taking issue with the default but rather with the prompt.
What kind of prompt would make you expect the right thing?

Recursive delete of SUBDIR (unconditionally)?
Recursive delete of SUBDIR (without confirmation)?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA