Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 03:49:21 -0400

    I have machines where no libpng or lib(un)gif are installed.  But I don't
need
    that functionallity in Emacs.  So why should Emacs reuire those libraries?

Is there some particular reason why you want to avoid installing those
libraries there?

Kastrup wrote:

    I don't mind being able to specify --without-libpng and/or
    --without-libgif, but the default behavior makes it somewhat too easy
    to overlook that one is not generating a fully-capable Emacs for a
    given platform.

I agree.