Re: find-file-noselect needs save-match-data

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: find-file-noselect needs save-match-data
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:20:34 -0400

       (let ((mdata (vector 10)))
         (if (string-match-reentrant regexp string nil mdata)
             (message "blargh [%s] [%s]" (aref mdata 1) (aref mdata 2))))

That is complicated enough that it would be easier to use
save-match-data.  Therefore, we may as well not add this
extra complexity.

We have seen two possible simple specs for this function's return
value: return just the location of the start of the match, and return
the entire match data.  Stefan argued against the latter on grounds
of efficiency, so I suggested trying both approaches and measuring
the efficiency.