Re: Info: Emacs build using VC 2005 (VC8) failure

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info: Emacs build using VC 2005 (VC8) failure
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:56:01 +0300

> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:39:11 +0530
> From: dhruva <address@hidden>
>
>  When I try to build GNU Emacs (HEAD) using Visual Studio 2005 (VC8)
> on Windows 2003, it fails.

This is a known problem.  nt/INSTALL clearly says that VS 2005 is not
supported.  Jason told you some of the reasons.

When this came up during the pretest of Emacs 22.1, we felt that,
given the availability of the MinGW port of GCC, expending to much
effort on adding VC8 support is unjustified.  You are welcome to try
to make it work and submit the resulting patches, of course.

> The main
> change is that MS has decided not to ship "libc.lib" and instead
> supplies only the "libcmt.lib" (thread safe version). In the GNU Emacs
> makefile (on Windows), it hard codes the linking with "libc.lib".

We tried to use libcmt, but the resulting binary crashes because some
conflict with memory allocation functions.