Re: elib -> emacs

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: elib -> emacs
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:19:48 +0200

Am Samstag, 16. Juni 2007 02:29 schrieb Karl Berry:
> Years ago, there was a package "elib" which aimed to provide generic
> functionality beyond that in Emacs itself.  The last release was in
> 1995, and is at ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/emacs/elib-1.0.tar.gz.
>
> The elib maintainers (Inge Wallin and Per Cederqvist) are (obviously)
> not working on it any more.  They suggested that much of what was in
> elib is now in Emacs, but don't keep up with current Emacs developments,
> so can't easily check if there is anything in elib which should be moved
> into Emacs.
>
> Could someone here please take a look at that elib tarball and see if
> there is anything in there that could still be useful in Emacs?
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

For me it doesn't seem a good idea to drop elib.el,
unless it's proven buggy.

You may re-view `string-replace-match' for example as
`dired-string-replace-match', slightly changed.

However, with this new name, it's not as easy detected
as the original function.

Just checked `string-replace-match': it works fine.

Too other programs may rely on elib.el as emacspeak
does:

http://emacspeak.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/lisp/elib-readme
says:

This directory includes stack-f.el and string.el from
Elib 1.0.

Regards,

Andreas Roehler