Re: new image library "requirements"

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: new image library "requirements"
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:54:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii skrev:
From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:34:59 +0200
Cc: Miles Bader <address@hidden>,
        Jan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dj=E4rv?= <address@hidden>, address@hidden

Maybe it should make a human-understandable report of missing
functionality at the very end of the configure run:

----  WARNING ----
The following functionalities will be missing in your compilation of
Emacs because of missing development libraries (specify
-without-FEATURE to omit warning about such a missing feature):

jpeg: used for displaying jpeg image files
tiff: used for displaying tiff image files
xpm: used for displaying xpm image files and color icons
alsa: used for playing sounds from within Emacs

Either that (we already do something similar for X toolkits and such
likes), or display a warning at startup (or both).

But failing the configure script is too draconian, IMHO.

That was Richards call:

If we know enough to give a specific message with specific advice,
that is better than an error from ld.  But it should be a fatal error,
not a mere warning.  It should make the user fix things and try again.

        Jan D.