Re: how about a find-library-other-window command?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: how about a find-library-other-window command?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:41:36 -0400

>> I'd be happy to change all that: remove/deprecate the <foo>-other-window
>> commands and make the <foo> commands use either the same window or another
>> depending on some user configuration.

> That would make it very cumbersome to use if I had to change a
> configuration option just to use an other-window command.

I like David's idea also.
Maybe we could try something as follows:

- make <foo> use a new command like `switch-or-pop-to-buffer' which behavior
  depends on a "config var".
- add prefix keys such as C-x 4 which can force one of the two behaviors for
  the next command (or maybe just one prefix key C-x 4 which toggles the
  behavior of the next command).
- make the "config var" sufficiently complex that it doesn't just choose
  "always pop" or "always switch" but can choose different defaults for
  different commands.  How to do that is up-in-the-air:
  - Maybe switch-or-pop-to-buffer would look at this-command (yuck) and do as
    assq search in a config alist based on that.
  - Or switch-or-pop-to-buffer would take an additional argument to specify
    the key to use an the alist search.
  - It would probably be good to be able to specify not just different
    behaviors depending on the command but also depending on the buffer in
    which it is executed (e.g. "always use switch when done inside a *Help*
    buffer").

        Stefan