Re: emacs 22.1 hogging CPU

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs 22.1 hogging CPU
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:28:07 -0400

    semantic-version is a variable defined in `semantic.el'.
    Its value is "2.0pre3"

    It looks like there was a pre4 that came out a few days
    after emacs 22.1.  I'll try having him upgrade to that.

I wonder if there is anything we can do to warn users about this.
For instance, in Emacs 22.2 we could add a feature would check
for version numbers (somehow) in files being loaded, and give an error
if they meet a criterion.

Maybe the feature could involve an alist whose elements look like
(FILE VARIABLE REGEXP ERROR).  It could be initialized to

(("semantic.el" semantic-version "2.0pre3"
  "Version %s of %s won't run in Emacs 22"))

Any comments or suggestions?