Re: Saving markup formats

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 06:05:28 -0700 (PDT)

> So if you have a paragraph with a style attached to it and you kill it
> and then yank it to somewhere else and it has the same styles attached
> to it.
>
> The problem you're talking about does occur when you have 'embedded
> structure', when you have a paragraph inside a list item for example.

I still think it can happen even without nesting; consider the document
(rendered for email as if it were HTML)

Now that will be rendered in Emacs as

This is important!
This is even more important.

with appropriate faces, and perhaps one more newline between the
sentences.  Now kill from "imp..." to "...more" and what happens?  If the
result (in the buffer, not the kill ring) is a new paragraph with a
mixture of styles, we have a problem because we then cannot tell whether a
style is applied to a paragraph or merely to every character in it.  If
it's something else, we have a problem because the nearby text properties
don't jive.  What am I missing?

Davis

shipping.