Re: A wish, a plea

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:05:44 +0200

>     By the way: I think that our choice of having the splash screen
>     displayed by default even when Emacs is called with a file name is a
>     mistake.  Even more so if the same happens when using emacsclient.
>
> I decided to do this because I want beginning users to see the info in
> the splash screen.  Many of them specify a file name by habit carried
> from other editors.

Beginners would hardly be using emacsclient.  Restricting the splash
screen to once per Emacs session is quite enough.

Anyway, _beginners_ would be clicking some icon to start Emacs, not
use a command line.

> This is important for the GNU Project, so I will not change the
> decision.

The GNU project should be fine with once a session.  Having
emacsclient frames for something like commit messages triggered from
C-x v v show the splash screen is plainly disruptive.