Re: Initial splash screen

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Initial splash screen
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:05:33 +0200

>     Personally, I'd use
>     (message "Check the \"Help/About Emacs\" menu entry for basic usage
> pointers.")
>     when Emacs is started with file names on the command line.
>
> I won't do that because it is not sufficient for the purpose of
> informing users about GNU.

I don't see how.  Information will only be ingested when the user is
actually perusing the page.  When he is starting Emacs with a
filename, the page (as opposed to the message) is getting in his way
and so will get clicked away before it can register.

Anyway, the only information displayed in that regard is
"GNU Emacs is one component of the GNU/Linux operating system."

It implies that there is just one GNU/Linux operating system, and it
implies that GNU has no existence outside of Linux.  In particular
when running Emacs under Cygwin or similar, this message is weird, to
say the least.

I also find that neither the splash screen nor the extensive HELP menu
provides _any_ pointer to the GNU project: `describe-project' is not
in the help menus or mentioned on the splash screen.

We do an excellent job of hiding relevant info; and making the splash
screen for calling Emacs with filenames annoying achieves about as
much in that category as annoying air passengers by confiscating nail
clippers helps security.

> Emacs will continue to show the splash screen every time it starts.

Shrug.