Re: Feature request: new function start-remote-process

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature request: new function start-remote-process
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:17:03 -0400

>> with Emacs 22.1, the function process-file has been introduced. It is an
>> extension for call-process, which let programs execute a remote host
>> when default-directory is remote. It is implemented via a file handler.
>>
>> start-remote-process shall behave similar: if default-directory points
>> to a remote host, the corresponding program shall be executed there.

> Looks like nobody objects. I'll install it next days in the trunk,
> unless there is a veto.

In order not to derogate(?) to the custom of objecting late, I'll add an
objection right now: the name is wrong because it indicates for what you use
the feature rather than what it does.  I think that the name should include
"file" somewhere rather than (or at least additionally to) "remote", since
the key aspect compared to start-process is that it's a file-name operation.
So I'd call it "start-file-process".  Other than that, I fully support this
feature, of course.

        Stefan