Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:11:17 +0200

On 6/28/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

No.  `*' does not warn, it throws an error.

Interactively, what's an error but a warning to the user? I get a
non-intrusive "Buffer is read-only: #<buffer my-buffer>" message, and
that's all. And non-interactively there's no change in behavior.

That is the reason that the kill
functions that want to affect the kill buffer can't use `*'.

I understand that, which is irrelevant to my point.

And a readonly buffer does not get a warning when you try to change
it, but again throws an error, and nothing happens.  Regardless
whether you try it interactively or not.  `*' does not change that: it
might just throw an error at a more convenient time.

I'm not sure what are you trying to say here.

            Juanma