Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:55:59 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 6/28/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> You still choose to ignore the difference between a warning and an
>> error.
> And you insist in conflating what the error/warning distinction does
> programmatically (which I'm not talking about) with the transmision of
> information (irrelevant to you, not to me) to the user.
> And you do so through contrived examples. I've never ever done (setq
> xkkdkqqrqwefv t) by accident. Have you?

I have done a lot of setq commands with a non-existing variable name
by accident, yes.

Anyway, what does it imply to toggle overwrite-mode _by_ _accident_ in
a readonly buffer?  It is not unheard of that it is toggled
accidentally since the Insert key is easy to hit by accident.

But the _one_ case where this accident will have no unexpected
consequences at all, namely in a readonly buffer, you want a warning.

What for?  What are the ill consequences of not heeding the warning?
You can't even destroy text accidentally with the changed setting
since the buffer is readonly.

David Kastrup