Re: *scratch* buffer (was: A wish, a plea)

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: *scratch* buffer (was: A wish, a plea)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:04:12 -0700 (PDT)

>  > There are no keys bound to delete-region by default, and in standard
> Emacs
>  > normal keys like DEL and backspace do not destroy the region under any
>  > circumstances.  We'd need something more reliable than this combo.
>
> It doesn't have to be delete-region, it could be kill-region, which is
> bound to
> C-w.

What we really want here is `erase-buffer', since the point of clearing a
persistent scratch space is not to put its contents somewhere else but
rather to allow it to be used for other things.  And if a prolific user
has written megabytes in *scratch*, putting that both on the undo list and
the kill ring when they really mean for it to be nowhere seems wrong.
It's not all that important; I just don't want it assumed that
non-standard modes (Transient Mark, Delete Selection, CUA, etc.) obviate
the need for a "true" interface to such a feature.

Davis

shipping.