Re: source repository

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: source repository
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 17:09:25 +1200

 >  > Just think how many man-hours will be wasted if every Emacs
 >  > developer and contributor will have to install, learn, and set up
 >  > an unfamiliar configuration management package.
 >
 > Not so.  You were correct the first time: it's an "investment", not a
 > "waste".

It will be a waste if the chosen system becomes unsupported.  There seems to
have been an explosion of version control software recently, and presumably
some will sink into oblivion.  While CVS has undoubtedly presented problems,
they are small compared to more practical ones such as finding people with
the right skills who are willing to work unpaid on Emacs.

Personally, I would like to see us change to a distributed system but would
prefer to wait until there is one clear candidate.  I guess I could stand one
change, but two would be too many.