Re: add a tooltip and a mouse binding to the VC mode-line entry

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: add a tooltip and a mouse binding to the VC mode-line entry
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 02:47:46 -0700

  >     The VC item on  the mode-line is one of the very few that does not
  >     have a tooltip nor does it have a mouse binding.
  >
  > We can give it a mouse binding if there is something useful for that
  > binding to do.  But is there anything that would be useful?

Yes, at least displaying the VC menu when pressing mouse-1 would be
very useful. This would be consistent with displaying the major mode
menu when clicking on the major mode name on the mode line.

  > There is no sense giving it a mouse binding just so it will have
  > one if it isn't a useful and natural interface.

The VC entry on the mode line is a brief textual representation of
version control, IMO being able to interact with the version control
system by clicking on the textual representation is a very useful and
natural interface.

I was bored during a flight so I have actually implemented
this. Playing with a working implementation, I can say that I like how
it feels. I can post the patch, if you want me to.