Re: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired

From: Rob Giardina
Subject: Re: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 23:22:50 -0400

On Jul 4, 2007, at 9:30 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

    2. Provide a user option, `dired-details-propagate-flag'
       which, if non-nil, propagates the last hide/show state
       you chose to the next Dired buffer you open.

I would rather not install that.

    In that case, then that should be the only behavior,

I don't agree.

I've thought about Drew's propagate behavior and I like it. If you sometimes like seeing 'ls -l' details and sometimes like a terse display, having your mood perpetuate when you browse through 5 or 10 directories in a row is a good thing. That said, my mood doesn't usually change, I just set the default to terse mode and peek at the details when I need to know.

When reviewing the code, I discovered that the `dired-details-toggle' function (submitted by Klaus Berndl) has a clever feature I never used. The 2nd param is a flag to update the `dired-details-initially- hide' variable to the new state set by the toggle call thus the next buffer will open in that state. This supports the usage by the multi- mood user (with an appropriate key-binding) without adding another variable to track global state.

-rob