Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:50:08 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Alfred,

>    > This will make Emacs even more difficult to use for new or
>    > occasional users. They would need to know a key combination just
>    > to get started.  And it would be much more annoying than the
>    > current situation.
>
>    Then all users that like the scratch buffer as it is right now
>    would need to `C-x C-q' on startup. And what if you don't want the
>    splash-screen at all?
>
> The splash screen can always be disabled using inhibit-splash-screen.

Yes, I know that. But how would I get a *scratch* buffer if I've set
inhibit-splash-screen to t? Then I cannot read the "Type C-x C-q to get
a scratch buffer" message.

Well, of course I can add the command C-x C-q is bound to in the splash
screen to my ~/.emacs, but I like the fact that *scratch* is there by
default. Else a new user possibly won't find out how useful it is.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.