Re: Saving the selection before killing

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Saving the selection before killing
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:21:00 +0200

David Kastrup skrev:

I don't know the details, though, but it probably was the somewhat
different case of every Emacs kill command copying stuff to the
clipboard or so (or some clipboard application milking a selection
whenever one was available).

Search for klipper in etc/PROBLEMS. Now this proposal will make Emacs behave like a buggy klipper. Requesting the selection "just for the fun of it" is not something Emacs should do. If the selection in large, Emacs will be slow and unresponsive. The selection may be data Emacs can't handle anyway, such as audio data. If someone makes a big selection in OpenOffice for example, Emacs will get the text version of the selection, which in itself is not useful, all formatting is lost. I'd be annoyes to see that in my kill ring.

Please just request selection when the user asks for it.

        Jan D.