Re: XEmbed patches

From: Timo Savola
Subject: Re: XEmbed patches
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:24:25 +0300

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 08:53:46AM +0200, Jan Djärv wrote:

> Oh, I forgot.  I think the Gtk+ scrollbar patch looks bad if you have a
> theme where the scroll bar isn't as wide as the character width.  The
> current behaviour puts the excess on both sides.  With your patch, the
> excess are on one side only.

The point of that patch is to make the embedded Emacs blend into the
surrounding (assumedly) GTK application.  Without it, it leaves a gap
between the GTK-themed background color of the scrollbar and the GTK-themed
embedder window.  Making the gap wider on the Emacs side seems like a
smaller bad.

(Aligning the scrollbar seamlessly against the X window border might also
look better with some window manager themes designed for GTK-based
desktops.)

My patch changes that unconditionally--not just for embedded frames.  Also,
the assumption that the embedder is always a GTK application doesn't hold
water.

I do see this as an issue, however, but I don't know the correct solution.
Here are my proposed solutions:

 1. Enable it on embedded frames.

 2. Make it configurable so that the embedder which launches Emacs can
    choose it.  (This seems like a huge hammer for such a small nail as
    we're talking about a non-functional issue which exists with only one of
    the supported GUI toolkits.)

 3. All of the above.

> But if we can get rid of the requirement that
> scroll bar width must equal a character width, this would not be an issue.

Is this a realistic expectation?

timo