new VC backend: vc-git added, please test (was: Re: adding new modes)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: new VC backend: vc-git added, please test (was: Re: adding new modes)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:48:22 -0700

Alexandre Julliard <address@hidden> writes:

  > David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > vc-git is not of release-quality (C-u C-x v = usually chokes while
  > > trying to propose a "previous version").  However, the Emacs 23
  > > release is not exactly around the door, and having it synched into
  > > Emacs-CVS might be nice.  At the current point of time, it is
  > > maintained in git's git repository.  Not all people with write access
  > > there will have a copyright assignment.  So one would have to check
  > > who actually wrote stuff in it.
  >
  > I'm the main author of vc-git.el and git.el, and I'd be happy to sign
  > the needed paperwork if you want to use them.

Thank you for doing this!

vc-git.el is now checked in CVS HEAD.

It is not enabled by default, it would be nice if people could test it
a bit more before doing that.

There are still VC functions that need to be implemented. See the Todo
section and the beginning of the file.

Quite a few of or the missing functions should be very easy: knowing
what git command should be run should probably be enough.